Side return extensions in South West London
I have worked for many years, successfully designing Side Return Extensions in South West London including Fulham, Chelsea, Balham, Streatham, Battersea and Wandsworth.
Together with my two support Architects; we offer a formidable team of experts to tackle any situation and probability we may encounter.
We are not dogmatic Architects, but we will design a proposal for our Client, based on their wishes, but we will play ‘Devil’s Advocate’, and explain why we have done what we have done, and the ultimate decision is always that of the Client, having full knowledge of the decisions for the original design.
Our Planning success is exemplary, because we make the extra effort to go and talk to the Planning Officers, before we make a Planning Application, and build up a rapport, so the Planners know what to expect, not a new Planning Application out of the blue.
In addition, when the drawings are finalised to be submitted to the Planners, we encourage our Clients to talk to their neighbours, before submission (maybe over a glass of wine), and, as the Architect, we can support our Clients with any neighbour queries. Again, this avoids a letter from the Planning Authority appearing unannounced on a neighbour’s mat, so we are neighbour-friendly as well.
We design all our extensions in an Eco-Friendly way, exceeding the minimum requirements of insulation, for Building Regulations Control, and ecologically sourced materials, etc., using Energy Efficiency Consultants.
Our Side Return Extensions in South West London are distinctive and elegant, inside and out.
- We make every effort to ensure that any extension we design looks as if it has always been there; and not an extension as such.
- We are Planning Officer-friendly, and neighbour- friendly in that we will lower the Party Wall, to a friendly height, so creating a sloped glass roof to the side extension.
- Externally, we design all our Loft Dormers, or Mansard roofs to eliminate all gutters and downpipes, to create a harmonious, elegant, uncluttered addition to the existing property.
- We design lofts, not only over the main body of the house, but also over the rear original extension, to maximise on additional floor area and use of the property.
- We raise the Party Walls, to maximise on the useful internal floor area, and Dormer Windows and Mansard Roofs are designed to line up with the rear wall wherever possible, which adds the most value to the property.
- We match the existing windows, so on Victorian properties; we use wood double hung sliding sashes, to the latest double glazed specifications and details, to look elegant, and to appease the Planners.
- We add discreet Velux roof windows on the sloped front roofs, and roof lights over the staircase, all to maximise on natural light into the accommodation.
- Internally, we maximise on useful floor area, Party Wall to Party Wall, and Dormer windows and Mansard roofs to extend to line up with the rear wall, wherever possible, all to add the maximum value to the property.
- We design using a good floor to ceiling height, to prevent the space feeling mean. We create a successful volume of rooms. We are adventurous in achieving the roof thickness to be as minimal as possible, whilst still achieving and exceeding the minimum thermal requirements.
- We extend the existing staircase, using identically turned newel posts and spindles, so the extended stair is seamless, and is a natural extension to the existing.
- We maximise on natural light into our extensions, so white window frames, white Velux windows and roof lights, flood the interior with the maximum of natural light, and we advise on the location of curtains or blinds, to protect this natural resource. To this end, we point out that the light from the highest part of a glazed window, is the light that penetrates the deepest into the room.
- We design all Lighting schemes, and produce drawings to show the location of all power points, TV aerials, telephone, wi-fi outlets, etc.
- We design all bathrooms ergonomically and elegantly, and suggest fixtures fittings and finishes.
- We design-in wardrobes and storage, to maximise the use of the accommodation.
- We will always draw the location of the bed for example, to help Clients understand the spaces, and the effort that is gone into to create successfully ergonomically designed spaces, and volumes. Many of our Clients that we have designed Side Return Extensions in South West London for, are very pleased to tell us how we have successfully transformed their homes